When the weather heats up, I keep my cool with no-fuss, veggie-centric recipes – like this shaved fennel, radish & cucumber salad. It also makes for a simple, portable addition to any bbq or picnic.
Shaved “Summer Whites” Salad
- 1 fennel bulb
- 1 cucumber
- 4-6 small radishes
- Half a block of feta
- 1 lemon (juice of)
- 1/4 cup za’atar
- olive oil
- Wash all vegetables well. Cut the core out of the bottom of the fennel bulb and the tips off of the radishes.
- Use a mandolin to shave all vegetables into a large mixing bowl. (Save the stems of the fennel, chop finely and add to mixture as well.)
- Add za’atar, crumbled feta, lemon juice and a generous drizzle of olive oil.
- Toss together and serve
- You can also chop these ingredients finely with a large kitchen knife, but shaving is preferable for texture.
- If you are not planning on serving the salad immediately, hold off on the olive oil and feta until just before serving.
- If you cannot find za’atar at your spice shop, you can find a recipe for this spice blend here